It’s already 2010 so a list of things that I loved from 2009 is very outdated. Whatever. This is my buh-log. Plus, I haven’t updated in a long time.
Lists always pop up around the end of the year and I hardly agree with them. I understand Twilight was (still is) a huge hit but that doesn’t mean Taylor Lautner is going to be on my list of ’09 Hotties. That’s just not happening. Sorry Tay Tay!
That said, here is my list of 2009 Favorites and Bests!
1. Bobbi Brown lipstick in Pink – I’m really into lipsticks right now and fell in love with Bobbi Brown’s creamy semi-matte lipstick in Pink sometime during the fall. I’m not usually a bold lipstick wearer so it was quite a shock when I put it on. I thought it was too much but my friend, Bianca, insisted I buy it because it “gave me life.” I hesitated before handing over my debit card. I later texted her THANK YOU after I gave myself time to get used to the color. She was right. I no longer looked corpse-y. This particular pink color is so ridiculously ON it can make anyone look like a cute, fresh, 50s pinup. Especially good for girls who are on their way to transitioning to luscious bold red lips comme la lippy goddess Angelina Jolie. $22, Nordstrom.
2. ‘My Love‘ by The-Dream featuring Mariah Carey
Just about everything The-Dream touches is gold. Absolute gold. I mean, he is the reason Jesse McCartney’s ‘Leavin‘” is good. I actually perk up when I hear that song. Ok, I love that song. DON’T JUDGE. And this one. The moment I heard ‘My Love’ I could not stop replaying it. The-Dream has been out for some time now but he really blew up this year, which is why I will consider him ‘new’ for purposes of asking this question: Don’t you miss getting excited over a new artist? I do. That’s why I love The-Dream. He’s taking R&B to a whole other level while still maintaining that familiar classic R&B groove we know and love.
3. Thakoon for Target line
Fun, fun, fun! I snatched two pieces from this line and they are holding up so well. I still wear them.
4. Jeremy Renner’s performance in The Hurt Locker
5. Mo’nique’s performance in Precious.
GOOD GOD SHE IS GOOD.
6. Robin Thicke’s falsettos in ‘Sex Therapy.’
7. Robin Thicke dancing at the :44 mark. Nicki Minaj’s voice (Not her best performance and say what you will about her being a wannabe Foxy Brown/Lil Kim I still don’t think she’s bad!)
8. The first 10 minutes of Up
9. Manohla Dargis interview on Jezebel.com.
Let’s acknowledge that the Oscars are bullshit and we hate them. But they are important commercially… I’ve learned to never underestimate the academy’s bad taste. Crash as best picture? What the fuck.
What a bitch. I love her.
10. Muppets Bohemian Rhapsody music video
12. Keel’s Simple Diary by TASCHEN
I was reluctant to try this diary out at first but writing in it now has become one of the little things I look forward to on a daily basis. It is a day per page diary that is structured with a brief questionnaire and statement to get you thinking. The purpose of Simple Diary is to “help us look inside even when we are overloaded outside. The book offers structure for those who don’t have time to wonder, making it easy to record life’s moments. It gives the pleasure of a quick response and the sense that no matter what’s wrong, more is right.” Cheesy, yes, but it makes me feel like some of kind of significant public figure filling out Vanity Fair’s Proust questionnaire (Sample Simple Diary questions: What you don’t miss about the past; Your day was (only choose one): ( ) someone else’s, ( ) like two days, ( ) nowadays…Explain why; A character flaw that you cover up with a white lie). In other words, that I have something important to say underneath all my word vomit.
Too bad there is only one volume of this diary. Volume Two coming…??? Good for people who avoid writing in diaries because they feel they have nothing to write. Also good for people who want to feel like a character in a Nancy Meyers film seeking enlightenment, a brain tickle, or a chuckle. Not good for people who diary for pages and pages and pages on (un)lined paper. All jokes aside, like any diary, this will be a hilarious and insightful read ten years from now. Can run anywhere from $10 to $20 depending on where you buy. I bought mine from Barnes & Noble online for about $13. Check Amazon.com. Google is your friend!
13. Glee – I love the hell out of this show. Haters to the left.
14. The phrase, ‘Haters to the left.’
15. This gif.
16. And this one.
17. Jersey Shore
THE SITUATION, SNOOKI, AND PAULY D WITH BEN MOTHERFUCKING SAVAGE.
Oh, I love this show.
18. This was not in 2009 but I caught up with Ugly Betty this year and died when I saw this.
19. Lollicup milk tea boba
I moved back home in late ’08 and have grown up in California all my life so it’s not like boba is a big ’09 discovery. Since moving home, however, I’ve been downing boba as much as I can before I move to who-knows-where. Look, I’m taking advantage of my location. This stuff was so hard to find in D.C. They sold it at my university but they called it ‘bubble tea’ and there were only two flavors that I can remember, taro and milk. Bor-ing! I’ve tried several boba places here in the L.A. area but Lollicup stands out for me. The milk tea is silky and creamy, perfectly sweet, and very well mixed. I don’t feel like I’m chugging milk tea powder mix residue. That’s gross. Oh, and the tapioca balls are black pearls of gooey goodness. That’s not gross.
Again, this is another taking advantage of my location type thing. The place is self-serve with a dozen delicious staple flavors like plain (tart) and dutch chocolate and rotating other ones like mango and strawberry sherbet, and the most random topping selections (mochi, yogurt chips, brownie bites, coconut shavings) all at 39 cents/pound. Never mind the crowds of loud teenagers who either bring out the crabby old lady in you or bring back high school memories of busting through the local hangout like you owned the place. Sure beats Pinkberry any day. I love it!
Here’s to 2010.